Ortofon Super OM20 cartridge
- The Absolute Sound Editors Choice & Highly Recommended Cartridge
The Ortofon Super OM20 phono cartridge has received accolades from many reviewers and end-users.
According to The Absolute Sound, the Ortofon Super OM20 has an elusive quality of relaxed, easy listenability that makes it among the most appealing of all pickups. The Ortofon Super OM30 is fractionally more transparent, lively, and dynamic... Both are superb trackers and achieve a level of sonic/musical performance quite disproportionate to their bargain-basement price.
*At the time of its review, the Ortofon Super OM20 was rated in the same performance category as the Shure V15VxMR.
Exclusive Technologies Deliver Superior Results
The world class performance of the Super OM20 cartridge is based on Ortofon's lightweight moving magnet system, originally introduced in the OM (Optimum Match) Series, with two (2) major refinements:
- By means of advanced computer simulation methods, Ortofon is able to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. This results in improved linearity, higher channel separation, and reduced distortion.
- Ortofon also developed a technique to "slit" the less than 1 mm diameter hollow pole pins, thus significantly reducing "eddy current" losses caused by magnetic hysteresis. This sophisticated technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity.
All Super OM models have the same body, construction, and magnetic circuitry. The only difference is the interchangeable stylus unit. Thus, when your level of musical sophistication improves, you can simply switch the existing stylus to the Ortofon Stylus 30 or for pinnacle performance the Ortofon Stylus 40. The Stylus 40 offers pinnacle performance for the most demanding listener.
Ortofon Super OM20 Phono Cartridge Specifications
- Output voltage @ 1kHz: 4mV
- Channel balance @ 1kHz: 1.5dB
- Channel separation: 22dB @ 1kHz; 15dB @ 15kHz
- Frequency range: 20Hz-27kHz
- Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz +2/-1dB
- FIM distortion @ recommended tracking force, DIN 45.542: <1%
- Tracking ability @ 315Hz @ recommended tracking force: 80 m
- Compliance dynamic lateral: 25 m/mN
- Stylus type: Nude elliptical
- Stylus tip radius: r/R 8/18 m
- Stylus tip mass: 0.4 mg
- Tracking force: 1.25 - 1.75 g (12.5 - 17.5 mN)
- Recommended tracking force: 1.5 g (15 mN)
- Tracking angle: 20
- Internal impedance DC resistance: 1k ohms
- Internal inductance: 580 mH
- Recommended load resistance: 47k ohms
- Recommended load capacitance: 200 - 400 pF
- Color: Black
- Weight: 5 g
- Standard stylus: Ortofon Stylus 20
- Upgrade stylus: Ortofon Stylus 30